“About the Disease – Obesity
Obesity is a clinical condition in which a person has excess weight or body fat that might affect their health. Obesity can be a main factor of other diseases and health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and certain cancers.
A BMI between 25 and 29.9 indicates that a person is carrying excess weight & BMI of 30 or over specifies that a person is obese.Obesity In Ayurveda Context
In Ayurveda, Obesity can be understood as an excessive deposition of fat/adipose tissue and flesh/muscle tissue leading to flabbiness of hips, abdomen, and breast. Ayurveda considers obesity as a disease because of excessive calories consumption.
Ayurveda Management of Obesity
For purification & elimination of toxins from the body, panchkarma therapies are performed which are very effective in treating obesity.
1. Medicated Enema: This therapy is done by injecting liquids like medicated oils, herbal decoctions and milk through the rectum. The main aim of medicated enema therapy is to clean or heal. The toxins collected in the lower part of the body or they pushed to the colon, urinary tract or reproductive tract.
2. By purifying and detoxifying the body, this therapy helps to restore the natural heat within the body. This naturally burns the toxins at the cellular level & prevents it from re-generating. It also helps to regain the normal digestive process and to lose/maintain weight effectively.
3. Oleation Therapy: In oleation therapy, the herbal medicated oil is applied over the body with a slow massage which removes body impurities & reduce body weight.
4. Herbal Steam Therapy: Herbal Steam Therapy is known as swedana therapy in Ayurveda. In this therapy, with the help of herbal steam, sweat is induced & toxins get eliminated from the body. This helps in reducing body weight.
5. Purgation Therapy : Purgation Therapy is an ayurvedic detox therapy that helps in treating obesity. Purgation therapy involves the oral intake of Ayurveda medicines in order to eliminate toxins from the body through vomiting, thus balancing the bio elements.
6. Herbal Medicines: Herbal medicines proven efficacy in management of obesity. Most common herbal supplements used for treating obesity are green tea, garcinia cambogia, white kidney bean and African mango.
7. Therapeutic Yoga & Meditation: Yoga & Meditation are the Ayurveda breathing techniques, which gives great benefits like increased energy, increased perception and development of various brain functions. Yoga & meditation is extremely beneficial in losing weight.