Cerebral palsy (CP) is a disease that affects body movement, muscle tone, posture and balance. Cerebral Palsy can also be termed as brain paralysis. Cerebral palsy is caused by irregular development or damage because of some parts of the brain which command muscle tone and motor movement( rolling over, crawling, sitting, and walking.). The symptoms primarily appear in early childhood.
Ayurveda Management of Cerebral Palsy.
In Ayurveda, Classical “Panchakarma”(panch means 5 & karma means therapies) Treatment is done for cerebral palsy that controls the Nervous system, Physiological function and corrects Metabolism (Vata, Pitta and Agni). The therapies focus on:
● To get their metabolism right.
● Medicines are given to strengthen the brain.
● To make the brain focus on certain things
● To make their muscular spasticity go.
● boost up medicines that give strength to the brain for fast-growing & act as per the age.
1.Medicated Powder Therapy: In this therapy, medicated power is applied over the body. This therapy is extremely beneficial in removing toxins from micro/macro body channels. This is one of the techniques to perform body detoxification and remove blockage from the circulation channels present in the human body.
2.Oleation Therapy: Oleation therapy is very effective in treating treating spastic CP disorders. The malnourished elements easily get nourished by this therapy. Oleation therapy can be external as well as internal. The procedure includes application of oil over the whole body with slow massage & pressure. This helps in reduction of motor neuron hyperexcitability.
3. Medicinal Flow Therapy for Relaxing Nervous System: This therapy includes continuous pouring of a liquid, medicated milk, etc. on the head & forehead and permitting it to flow over the scalp by a special instrument for a particular time. This rejuvenating therapy removes toxins and mental exhaustion. The therapy also reduces stress and any ill effects on the central nervous system i.e controlling seizures, cognitive impairment and behavioural problems like anxiety, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder etc.
4. Medicated Enema Therapy: This is another Ayurveda therapy for detoxification in which medicated enema is given through rectum. The cleansing and purifying therapy commonly performed in the treatment of various neurological conditions like cerebral palsy.
5. Nasal Administration: The main aim of this therapy is Nasal administration is to purify the head & neck region channel. In this therapy, herbal juices, oils, or powders are given through the nose in order to remove obstruction in the upper respiratory tract. Nasal administration plays a vital role in treatment of CP as this therapy promotes strength to the head and sense organ in the head.
6. Yoga Therapy – Yoga therapy can provide major support in management of cerebral palsy Yoga therapy is beneficial in improving Behavior and focus, strength, flexibility, balance, and self-regulation.